Many ask us if we believe Yeshua is G-d. We respond:

• G-d is not a man. (Num 23:19)
  • HaShem is a man. (Ex 15:3)
  • Yehoshua is the name of HaShem (Ex 33:11-23)
  • We have have no other King, Savior, or Redeemer than HaShem. (1 Saml 8:7, Ex 15:2, Ex 6:6)
  • Yehoshua/Yeshua is the Messiah, and he is our King, Savior, and Redeemer. (Matt 1:16, Acts 13:23, Gal 3:14)

Outside of these statements, we can not say anything more, for we would be saying something that G-d in his wisdom never thought to put explicitly in the scriptures. And we are not G-d, so we are not going to say that which he didn’t say and make declarations that He never did. We can acknowledge the divine mission of Messiah from the Torah,  and that he is called HaShem, and that HaShem is divine, and we can declare with scripture that HaShem is our King, Savior, and Redeemer, but if we want to have an answer to this question that is purely scripture, we can not make such a declaration that “Yeshua is divine,” or that “Yeshua is G-d.” We can say, however, that “Yeshua is the Word of HaShem,” and we can say that “the Savior of Israel is HaShem.” Beyond that, we are in danger of adding to the Torah, and of leaping into idolatry.

Please see the article on Trinitarianism for more information regarding why it is wrong to expose or demand conformity to an imagined nakedness of G-d that he never revealed to us.

G-d is not a man.

Numbers 23:19:
G-d is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should repent;
Has He said, and will He not do it?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

HaShem is a man.

Exodus 15:3:
HaShem is a man of war;
HaShem is his name.

We have have no other King, Savior, or Redeemer than HaShem.

Numbers 23:21
He has not observed misfortune in Jacob;
Nor has He seen trouble in Israel;
The LORD his G-d is with him,
And the shout of a king is among them.

1 Samuel 8:7
And the LORD told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king.

Exodus 15:2
The LORD is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation.
He is my G-d, and I will praise him,
my father’s G-d, and I will exalt him.

Isaiah 43:11
I, even I, am the LORD,
and apart from me there is no savior.

Exodus 6:6
Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment.

Psalm 31:5
Into your hands I commit my spirit;
redeem me, O LORD, the G-d of truth.

Yehoshua is the name of HaShem.

Exodus 33:11-23:
11 HaShem would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Yehoshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.

12 Moses said to HaShem, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with me.’ 13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.” 14 HaShem replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” 15 Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. 16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”

17 And HaShem said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.” 18 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.” 19 And HaShem said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, HaShem, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” 21 Then the LORD said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”

Yeshua is the Messiah, and he is our King, Savior, and Redeemer.

Matthew 1:16
and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Yeshua, who is called Messiah.

Acts 13:23
From this man’s descendants G-d has brought to Israel the Savior Yeshua, as he promised.

Galatians 3:14
He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Messiah Yeshua, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

We hope these verses help you understand how we approach the identity of Messiah on this website. If you have questions, feel free to ask below. Shalom.

Common Statement: True, saving belief in the person of Christ demands that He be accepted & worshiped as G-d….

What language in Scripture suggests this to you? Where do any of the apostles ever say, “Believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is G-d, and thou shalt be saved”?

It is my view that there are other formulations that capture the concept of Messiah being a manifestation of HaShem (like the Angel of HaShem who is separate from HaShem but has His Name in him), without resorting to trinitarian statements. The bald assertion, that “Jesus is G-d”, glosses over the nuances of the situation, and leads one dangerously close to making an assertion that borders on idolatry.

The sufficiency of scripture apparently is not enough for most of our friends in Christendom. There is an inherent danger when one adds to scripture something that it doesn’t say… especially when it’s concerning who G-d is. It took me years to realize this. Yes, according to scripture (Gen 31:13, see Messiah is called HaShem, the Beit El), the Messiah is “HaShem” (the one who works what He does), the LORD, -Y-H-V-H. Saying “Messiah is HaShem,” though,  somehow isn’t enough some of our more demanding brothers in the faith demanding to know who we believe Messiah to be. Demanding a answer that is is addition to what is given here, seems to me to be a surrendering to one’s evil inclination in their attempt to control G-d by a man-made declarative definition. People have died for this. The desire to define G-d apart from precisely what scripture says, is the basis of idolatry.

To say that “Jesus is G-d,” or even “Messiah is just a man,” compromises the truth of scripture with the evil inclination.  Such a statement is an oversimplification of the identity of Messiah to our own detriment. Such oversimplification leads to the deification of a man, and thus idolatry; or to the profaning of the holiest messenger sent by HaShem himself, and thus blasphemy.  I believe the great Christian overemphasis on the divinity of Messiah has spawned an unhealthy bent toward defining Messiah Yeshua as the totality of G-d, usually at the cost of his humanity, and certainly contrary to the scriptures that say that G-d is not a man; and I believe the Jewish overemphasis on the manhood of Messiah to the exclusion of his divine mission, has spawned an unhealthy bent toward defining him as a mere man, at the cost of his divine mission to redeem all Israel, and contrary to the scriptures that say he is (only) born of a woman. Both attempts to define G-d, and define the Messiah apart from scripture, only leads to a corruption of the truth and integrity of the scripture that G-d himself saw fit to not add any additional details.

Some desire to define G-d in order to control him and thus get him to respond to their prayers “in Jesus name” – as they willfully continue to break his commandments; and some desire to define Messiah as just a man, so as to have no reason to submit to him and his authority as the King of Israel – as they too willfully continue to break his commandments. Both answers to the question are in error, and both answers lead to idolatry, one to the immediate idolatry of a man, the other to the eventual idolatry of self.

To say that Yeshua is both G-d and human, is an overly simplistic approach to understanding G-d that borders on adding to scripture in a way that it doesn’t intend. I find it amazing that the sufficiency of scripture is somehow not sufficient to those who want to jump to the claim that Jesus is the totality of G-d, when it is far more accurate to agree with the written scriptures (and not men’s imaginations) and simply say that he is HaShem, and leave it at that.

This then is who Yeshua is: He is not just a man, and as a man, he is not from Adam, but from G-d. He is the Word of HaShem, the Memra, the Davar, the Righteous One, he didn’t become righteous, he is righteous. He is called G-d’s Son, he is the agent of HaShem called HaShem, and he is “HaShem” who we interact with and not die. What scripture says is sufficient for me in this regard. I need not peer under the clothing of scripture and expose an imagined nakedness to glory of G-d that is created by our own yetzer hara (evil inclination).